Togiharu Virgin Carbon Steel Sujihiki
Steel Type: Carbon steel (CAUTION: MOISTURE AND ACID CAUSES RUST AND DISCOLORATION)
Steel Material:Virgin Carbon Steel
Saya Cover:Not Included
Handle Material:POM (Polyacetal Resin)
To many professional chefs, carbon knives are the only way to go. For these knife purists, Togiharu Virgin Steel Knives are made with the same level of carbon steel as a Japanese yanagi. The Togiharu carbon line is crafted out of junkou steel (virgin carbon) with a bacteria resistant polyacetal resin handle. The purity of the junkou carbon steel makes the blade harder, which allows it to hold a sharper edge for a longer period of time. Professionals agree that carbon knives can teach cooks how to be organized and care for their tools.
Togiharu is Korin’s house brand and was created with the user in mind. The Togiharu brand was created for functionality and is Korin’s most affordable brand of knives. The brand name was derived from Grand Master sharpener Shouzou Mizuyama’s father’s sharpening store. Master Mizuyama’s father was a celebrated sharpener in his own right, having received recognition from the emperor for his traditional sharpening skills. Togiharu knives are produced by a highly respected knife maker in Japan who manufactures the top-name Japanese brands. The difference in the Togiharu lines lies in the quality control and hand-finishing aspects of production. These knives are inspected one-by-one for quality - they are not mass handled. The final edge finishing process is done by hand, ensuring unparalleled sharpness right out of the box.
Purpose of Sujihiki
The sujihiki is a slicing knife intended for slicing boneless fish filets. It can also be used to slice boneless roasts, hams and poultry breasts. The short height of the blade creates less friction when slicing and the blade draws through fish and meat effortlessly using the entire length of the blade. The sujihiki is the Western-style equivalent the traditional yanagi knife.
CAUTION: Moisture Causes Rusting and Discoloration
For Left-Handed Customer
- This Western-style knife can be changed to left-hand by Korin's resident knife master.
- The fee for this conversion is $20.00 and has been automatically added to the cost of your purchase.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.