Masamoto Sohonten Virgin Carbon Steel Honesuki
The Masamoto Virgin Carbon knives have a junkou steel (virgin carbon) blade and a pakka wood handle. The handles are rounder and larger than other lines in Korin’s collection, which make them comfortable for those with larger hands. Steel enthusiasts prefer carbon steel knives above stain resistant blades due to their exceptional sharpness.
Minosuke Matsuzawa, the founder of the Masamoto Sohonten Company started making knives in 1866. It was his dream that his family would come to be remembered as knife craftsmen throughout the generations. Now, five generations later, Matsuzawa’s vision has been realized and professionally crafted Masamoto knives have become widely regarded as the finest knives made for professional use.
Purpose of Honesuki
The honesuki poultry boning knife that is used to separate the meat from the bones. It is lighter and thinner than the garasuki and can be used in place of a Western boning knife.
- Left-handed blades must be special ordered from Japan and will cost up to 50% more than the right-handed blades. Please allow us to take between 4 to 6 weeks.
What is Pakka Wood?Pakka Wood is a high quality and long lasting material created by combining resins with sheets of hardwood in multiple layers. Treated with heat and pressure,a solid piece is created. Not only is pakka wood beautiful,it is also strong and moisture resistant.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.
- Los cuchillos de carbón son propensos a oxidarse. A modo de evitar dicho comportamiento, se recomienda limpiar la superficie con un trapo limpio y seco después de cada uso.
- Cortar ingredientes ácidos puede generar la decoloración del cuchillo, pero ello no significa que la calidad de la cuchilla se vea afectada.