Suisin Mizu Honyaki Sakimaru Takobiki
Steel Type:Carbon Steel
Steel Material:Blue Steel #2
Saya Cover:Ebony Wooden Cover Included
Knife Bevel:Single Sided
Handle Material:Ebony Wood
Bolster Material:Water Buffalo Horn (Bolsters are made from natural horn therefore colors may vary)
Each knife is presented in a wooden box and decorated with the highest quality ebony wood knife cover and handle. The handle is also adorned with pure silver, making it a beautiful piece to showcase or use for very special occasions.
The yanagi is used to slice boneless fish fillets into sashimi and toppings for sushi. The graceful, long and thin blade is designed to cut slices in one drawing stroke, which applies minimal pressure on the flesh of the fish to avoiding stress and cell destruction. Different cutting techniques are used with the yanagi to enhance the aesthetics and the flavors of the fish. There are several variations of fish slicers that are all used in different situations and regions, however the yanagi style is the most widely used. The kensaki yanagi, sakimaru takobiki and maguro yanagi serve similar functions, but are more elegant styles. If space allows, longer blades will produce better results. Korin recommends the 30cm length for this style, because it has the most optimal weight and length for slicing through the fish without damaging the flesh.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.