Sugimoto Carbon Steel Chinese Cleaver
Steel Type: Carbon steel (CAUTION: MOISTURE AND ACID CAUSES RUST AND DISCOLORATION)
Saya Cover:Not Included
Sugimoto's Chinese cleaver is a handcrafted multi-purpose carbon steel knife and has a round easy to grip wooden handle. Sugimoto cutlery has been crafting knives since the 1930's and were the first to introduce Chinese cleavers to the Japanese market. The Sugimoto brand is known to produce some of the best Chinese cleavers in the world. Sugimoto Chinese cleavers have numbers etched onto the blades that refer to the thinness of the blade. The lower numbers have a finer edge, while the higher numbers have a thicker edge for more heavy duty work. Korin sells the #6 cleaver, which is popularly used for chopping vegetables and slicing meat ingredients because of its fine thin blade.
- As seen on Munchies: Creepy Clown’s Guide to Knives, Oct 2016
CAUTION: Moisture Causes Rusting and Discoloration
- This Chinese cleaver is right and left handed user friendly.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.