Suisin Tanryu Blue #1 Katana w/ Free Silk Fukusa Knife Bag
Steel Type: Carbon steel (CAUTION: MOISTURE AND ACID CAUSES RUST AND DISCOLORATION)
Steel Material:Blue Steel #1
Saya Cover:Not Included
Bolster Material:Water Buffalo Horn (Bolsters are made from natural horn therefore colors may vary)
1988 METI-designated Master of Traditional Crafts
1999 Sakai City Special Contribution Award
2004 Kansai Bureau of Economy, Trade and Industry Award
2014 Osaka Prefectural Award “Master Craftsman in Naniwa”
Tanryu - Ikeda Yoshikazu
Renowned bladesmith and the president of the Department of Traditional Crafts.
Damascus blue steel knives - Uses modern techniques, traditional methods, and years of experience
Original forging method to achieve a sharp blade with a long edge retention.
The weight of the damascus layered steel helps lessen cutting fatigue.
By using modern forging methods, he is able to forge blades that don’t warp very easily.
Special sharpening method that takes the hongasumi style sharpening to a higher quality. This helps to prevent the knife from becoming misshapen while sharpening.
CAUTION: Moisture Causes Rusting and Discoloration
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.