Nenohi Nenox Special Dentoukougeishi Hongasumi Mirror Finished Yanagi
Steel Type: Carbon steel (CAUTION: MOISTURE AND ACID CAUSES RUST AND DISCOLORATION)
Steel Material:White Steel #2
Saya Cover:Magnolia Wooden Cover Included
Knife Bevel:Single Sided
Handle Material:Magnolia Wood
Bolster Material:Water Buffalo Horn (Bolsters are made from natural horn therefore colors may vary)
Nenohi's special line of shiro-ko hongasumi knives are forged by dentoukougeishi craftsmen in Japan. Dentoukougeishi are highly skilled master artisans recognized by the Japanese government for their commitment to protect traditional art and techniques. These knives are made with a wider kireha (cutting blade) and extreme attention to detail for a finer cutting edge. Once the blades are made, each piece is adorned with an elegant octagonal magnolia handle.
Nenox Cutlery, known for its Nenohi Original (also known as Nenox) knives, was established in 1975 and has continued to provide the finest quality cutlery at their store in the world renowned Tsukiji Market since 1999. Nenohi takes great pride in crafting high quality knives that are masterfully hammered and forged by skilled knife smiths, using techniques derived from traditional Japanese sword-forging techniques. After they are forged, each blade is grinded and hand sharpened into a blade worthy of Nenohi's name.
Purpose of Yanagi
The yanagi is used to slice boneless fish fillets into sashimi and toppings for sushi. The graceful, long and thin blade is designed to cut slices in one drawing stroke, which applies minimal pressure on the flesh of the fish to avoid stress and cell destruction. Different cutting techniques are used with the yanagi to enhance the aesthetics and the flavors of the fish. There are several variations of fish slicers that are all used in different situations and regions, however the yanagi style is the most widely used. Originated in Kansai (Osaka) region.
CAUTION: Moisture Causes Rusting and Discoloration
Left-handed knives are available for this style. Please call customer service at 1-800-626-2172 to order.
For Left-Handed Customers
- Left-handed blades must be special ordered from Japan, and will cost 50% more than the right-handed blades. Due to how each traditional Japanese knife is handmade by right handed craftsmen, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to forge and deliver.
Did you know?
- Korin offers their customers a free maintenance service for all traditional Japanese knives!
- The initial blade serves as a sharpening guide in the future. Free initial sharpening and uraoshi sharpening is available with every purchase. Please be aware that sharpened knives are not eligible for returns.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.