Masamoto Sohonten VG-10 Yanagi
Steel Type:Stain-Resistant Steel
Saya Cover:Magnolia Wooden Cover Included
Knife Bevel:Single Sided
Handle Material:Magnolia Wood
Bolster Material:Water Buffalo Horn (Bolsters are made from natural horn therefore colors may vary)
HRC:61 - 62
Knife Weight in grams:
Blade Width (Widest part of the blade) in inches:
Spine Width (Widest part of the spine) in inches:
Handle Length in inches:
Masamoto’s line of stain resistant traditional Japanese style knives are forged in Japan to have an extremely hard and corrosion resistant blade so that it can retain an edge for longer than carbon knives. Stain resistant traditional Japanese knives are popular for shikomi (prep work) in Japanese kitchens. Each knife has a magnolia wood handle and a water buffalo horn bolster.
Minosuke Matsuzawa, the founder of the Masamoto Sohonten Company started making knives in 1866. It was his dream that his family would come to be remembered as knife craftsmen throughout the generations. Now, five generations later, Matsuzawa’s vision has been realized and professionally crafted Masamoto knives have become widely regarded as the finest knives made for professional use.
Purpose of Yanagi
The yanagi is used to slice boneless fish fillets into sashimi and toppings for sushi. The graceful, long and thin blade is designed to cut slices in one drawing stroke, which applies minimal pressure on the flesh of the fish to avoid stress and cell destruction. Different cutting techniques are used with the yanagi to enhance the aesthetics and the flavors of the fish. There are several variations of fish slicers that are all used in different situations and regions, however the yanagi style is the most widely used. Originated in Kansai (Osaka) region.
Left-handed knives are available for this style. Please call customer service at 1-800-626-2172 to order.
For Left-Handed Customers
- Left-handed blades must be special ordered from Japan, and will cost 50% more than the right-handed blades. Due to how each traditional Japanese knife is handmade by right handed craftsmen, it will take 4 to 6 weeks to forge and deliver.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- Stain-resistant knives are not stainless.
- Improper care will result in rusting and chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
For more information, please check our pages on different types of sharpening stones or sharpening tips.
Country of Origin: Japan