Masamoto Sohonten Damascus Purple Heart Wood Handle Wa-Gyuto
Steel Type:Stain-Resistant Steel
Steel Material:ZDP 189
Saya Cover:Magnolia Wooden Cover Included
Handle Material:Purple Heart Wood
Bolster Material:Water Buffalo Horn (Bolsters are made from natural horn therefore colors may vary)
Masamoto's ZDP 189 Damascus is extremely high in carbon and chromium making it extremely wear and stain resistant. With an HRC of 66, this knife is one of the harder steels to sharpen by hand.
Minosuke Matsuzawa, the founder of the Masamoto Sohonten Company started making knives in 1866. It was his dream that his family would come to be remembered as knife craftsmen throughout the generations. Now, five generations later, Matsuzawa’s vision has been realized and professionally crafted Masamoto knives have become widely regarded as the finest knives made for professional use.
About Purple Heart Wood
Purple heart wood is native to tropical rain forests of Central and South America. The trees are known for their heartwood which, when cut, quickly turns from a light brown to a rich purple color. Purple heart wood is extremely durable.
Purpose of Gyuto
The Gyuto is a versatile chef's knife. It can be used for cutting meat, fish and vegetables, making it suitable for preparing Western cuisine. Lightweight and thin, Japanese chef knives have a sharper blade and maintain their sharpness longer than most other chef knives.
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- Stain-resistant knives are not stainless.
- Improper care will result in rusting and chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.