Masamoto Sohonten White #2 Hongasumi Wa-Petty
Steel Type: Carbon steel (CAUTION: MOISTURE AND ACID CAUSES RUST AND DISCOLORATION)
Steel Material:White Steel
Saya Cover:Magnolia Wooden Cover Included
Handle Material:Magnolia Wood
Bolster Material:Water Buffalo Horn (Bolsters are made from natural horn therefore colors may vary)
Hongasumi knives are high-grade kasumi knives. They are forged, tempered, and finished with great care and precision. To create these blades, high carbon steel is layered with soft iron then forged and hammered in a process similar to kasumi knives but with more detailed steps involved. White steel is the most commonly used type of carbon steel. This steel achieves a harmonious balance between sharpness and brittleness. This line is highly recommended for those who enjoy knives with a traditional Japanese handle.
Minosuke Matsuzawa, the founder of the Masamoto Sohonten Company started making knives in 1866. It was his dream that his family would come to be remembered as knife craftsmen throughout the generations. Now, five generations later, Matsuzawa’s vision has been realized and professionally crafted Masamoto knives have become widely regarded as the finest knives made for professional use.
Purpose of Petty
The petty is a convenient size for delicate work, cutting or peeling small vegetables, fruits and herbs.
CAUTION: Moisture Causes Rusting and Discoloration
General knife care tips and warnings
- Never wash knives in the dishwasher
- This is not stain resistant. It will rust and discolor after cutting acidic ingredients or if one leaves it wet.
- Improper care will result in chipping.
- Please wipe knives dry after use to prevent rusting. Korin recommends wiping carbon knives with tsubaki oil to keep moisture off the knife.
- Western style knives sold at KORIN have significantly thinner blades than typical Western knives. Use of honing steels or sharpening machines may result in chipping.
- We advice all customers to always use sharpening stones to sharpen or hone knives.
Please be cautious when inspecting carbon knives with wet hands after purchase. We ask customers to inspect all knives prior to using, and will not accept returns on damaged goods. In the event you receive a rusted knife, please call customer service within 48 hours, and we will be happy to assist you.